3.3.12

I do not believe that she puts me in a human category

An extract from the incredible book, 'The Hearing Trumpet', by Leonora Carrington. 

"My room looks onto the nice back yard which is very convenient as there are no stairs to negotiate - I merely have to open the door in order to enjoy the starts at night or the early morning sun, the only manifestation of sunlight which I can abide.  The maid, Rosina, is an Indian woman with a morose character and seems generally opposed to the rest of humanity.  I do not believe that she puts me in  a human category so our relationship is not disagreeable.  The maguey plant, the flies and myself are things which occupy the back yard, we are elements of the landscape and are accepted as such.  The cats are another matter.  Their individually puts Rosina into fits of delight or fury according to her temper.  She talks to the cats, she never talks  to her children at all, although I think she likes them in her own way."
























A drawing initially triggered by a workshop entitled 'Visualising Literature' held as a part of 'Into the Fold'  created by Camberwell Press, which I could not attend.  Had I partaken in the exercise I would perhaps have paid closer attention to the actuality of the maguey cactus.    Instead the maguey plant is merely hinted at, while the main preoccupation is the narrator's casual explanation of  her passively camouflaged position within the courtyard.

What is already the wonderfully illustrated first edition of The Hearing Trumpet:






No comments:

Post a Comment